The Partnership has built a successful, multi-institutional, transdisciplinary cancer research program and is proud to share the impact of our collaborations. As our accomplishments below demonstrate, our focus is not only on cancer research itself, but also on research education, career development, provision of research resources, and community outreach.
Partnership accomplishments (2010 – 2023)
*Formal Outreach Core funding began in 2013.
Research project highlights
- The High Frequency of CHD1 Loss in BRCA2- Deficient African American Prostate Tumors Drives Tumor Formation by Suppressing Replication Stress co-investigator Shailja Pathania received an R01 on “Mechanisms Underlying Replication Stress and Genome Instability Upon BRCA2 Deficiency.”
- Huimin Yan, co-PI of the Testing Home-Based Exercise Strategies to Improve Exercise Participation and Cardiovascular Health in Underserved Minority Patients with Cancer Undergoing Chemotherapy project, was promoted to Associate Professor.
- The Impact of Changing Restaurant Advertising on Weight Gain and Disparities project team presented a poster at the 2023 International Biometric Society’s Eastern North American Region (ENAR) spring meeting.
- Both Changmeng Cai and Steven Balk of the Targeting Androgen Receptor Signaling in Prostate Cancer in Men with African Ancestry research project submitted R01 grant applications.
“The Partnership and my research experience helped me navigate my career goals through excellent mentorship from my PI who provides insight on next steps and ways to reduce debt in graduate level programs.”
– Shinelle, postbaccalaureate